Pickles had a party

What is this cake stuff, and where has it been all my life?

My lovely little niece Pickles turned one just before Christmas and we all had a party to celebrate on the weekend. It was one of the loveliest parties I'd been to, all low key and intimate and not too long for the little ones in attendance to get over tired or go into hysterics.

The gifts were all lovely too. Wooden dolls for a playhouse, a vintage sourced doll cradle and highchair from the birthday girl's mommy, a tutu from one auntie and a quilted quiet time book from this auntie.

It was probably the most difficult and time consuming project I have ever attempted but also one of the most enjoyable projects I've ever endeavored as well.

When we were little girls my sister and I had one Auntie in particular (who is a reader of mine too, I love you Auntie Shirley) who made us the most beautiful handmade dresses, pillows and yes, a quiet book for my older sister. For reasons, not divulged here, she doesn't have that quiet book today, so I decided months ago, that I would be the Auntie to fix that situation and make sure Pickles got a quiet book from an Auntie too.

Here are some of the pages I created.






Please take into account that I am very much a beginner sewer and I made more mistakes than even I have the humility to point out.

The book is based on the changing of the seasons and has the classic fine motor activities of weaving, zipping a zipper, tying a bow, lacing a shoe, doing up buttons etc.

Wouldn't you know it was such a hit with all the other guests that there have already been inquiries that perhaps I will try my hand at it again for them too? That's an exciting prospect, considering it will give me the chance to use all the knowledge I've learned the hard way and try out some new ideas.

if anyone wants to see the rest of the pages, let me know and I'll post them too!


Comments
2 Responses to “Pickles had a party”
  1. you are so incredibly talented Ashley! I might have to commission you to make one of these for my friend - she became a mother last week!

  2. Breanne says:

    Oh my heavens! Ashley, that is beautiful! I love how you incorporated the seasons into the book. I was wondering if you did ever make the book and here you did and it is lovely. What a treasure for your niece! =)

Leave A Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Categories

Life (15) kids (8) Health (7) Spirituality (7) Food (5) Crafts (2) Faith (2) fashion (2) style (2) Ann Demeulemeester (1) Mango (1) Yarn Along (1) music (1) nostalgia (1) polyvore (1)

Followers